Monday, April 22, 2013

Deep Friendships

Some old art major buddies of mine were getting together over the weekend, and it looked like I might not be able to make it. After some consideration, I decided to make it happen. I've had a lot of heavy stuff on my mind lately, and a spur of the moment trip to visit old friends did a lot of good. In fact a couple of weeks ago, I got a visit from my old friend Casey Butler, which also helped me.

So lately, I've been reminded of the importance of having deep friendships. I have a lot of what I'd call "peripheral friends" - people who I consider friends, but rarely share the deep concerns of my life with. Unfortunately, however, I feel that I don't have a lot of friends right now who I can share my deeper emotions and thoughts with. In the last 2.5 years, I've had several very close friends sort of move out of the area (and thus out of my life, in some ways). It is not impossible to keep up those distanced friendships, but certainly difficult.

So it was good to meet up with people I have history with, and with whom I share interests and passions. I've dealt with my dad's passing through introversion- I've spent a lot of time alone (I wanted it that way- don't freak out, extroverts), but it was great to get back into relationships and community with old friends.

It was another step toward "getting back to normal" for me. And it woke up a little more of my creativity and taste for adventure. God is good.

1 comment:

Casey Butler said...

Yeah! I'm happy I could make it out there to see you!