Monday, September 28, 2015

Camping Weekend 3

So this is all long overdue. I've done a lot of camping this summer, and didn't slow down enough to document it all here, so I'm going to fill in the gaps as well as I can now.

In may my housemate and I joined some guy friends for an overnight/weekend at a buddy's "cottage" on the lake a little ways north of us. It was a great opportunity to test out my Coleman stove- which I bought a couple summers ago at a garage sale. I had to do a little repair work, but now it is a fantastic piece of gear for any car camping trip.


Night came and we spent a lot of time around the fire, talking about deep stuff- everything from spirituality and the Bible to politics. Smores were had, of course, and it gave me the opportunity to try out the "S'moreo". 


Just a roasted marshmallow added to the center of an oreo. It was fantastic, by the way. I highly recommend it. But it was a beautiful night, and it was great to be by the water in the quiet still of the night. I'm finding more and more- maybe I've said this in a recent post? But I'm finding more and more that being by a large body of water sort of reminds me of who I am somehow. It's a reminder that I'm small, and that God is big, and his works are vast and mighty.


So while it was a cottage, there wasn't room for everyone, so I knew I'd be sleeping in a tent. It was pretty late when we all turned in for the night, I was pretty beat. It rained through the night some, which I find to be really comforting, actually. I love the soft sound, as long as it isn't leaking into the tent. But I woke warm and dry the next morning, and made some cocoa on my Coleman stove.


Though it was sprinkling a little, the host of the trip and I went out on his boat for some morning fishing. He knew some good spots, but none of them brought us any fish- though I'll be the first one to tell you that fishing isn't all about catching. A lot of time it is about conversation shared with good company and connecting with God in the quiet. And what better note to end this post than that? Make sure you take time and be still. God is good. 


No comments: