Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Camping Weekend 1

Part of my Summer of Camping will hopefully be photosets and descriptions of each camping experience. Since I've done a couple already, I'll have to update you on them just to catch up. So, here's camping weekend # 1:



We arrived late evening at Lakeport State Park, and set up camp right away. My children friends got busy looking for a playground as I got the fire going. Dinner was quick to follow. Then came stories, s'mores and sleep. (Note Huron in through the trees)


I'd been struggling with a bit of a cold, so a little cough syrup helped knock me out. I woke early (as I often do when camping) and decided to get up and enjoy the morning. First I got the fire going again, then made some hot cocoa, then I watched a beautiful sunrise over Lake Huron.


I wandered the beach for several hours picking up shells, fossils and sea glass for my niece and nephews.

I hate when people say stuff that is poetic and puffery but doesn't really mean anything- that being said, I find it hard to express what I felt out there. The wind, waves and solitude awoke something in me, reminded me in a way of who I am. I don't know for sure whether it's the reminder that I'm so small, the comforting sounds or smells of nature or just the lack of background noise, but somehow camping makes me feel closer to God. It was refreshing and energizing.


Got my first taste of sun for the year. Great weekend. Looking forward to more camping. God is good.

No comments: